Charlene Barry & West Point

Charlene Barry & West Point
Charlene Barry & West Point

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

This Year so Far - July 2016

We’re already over half way through 2016, and Leo’s season is off to a steady start. Being 14 this year, Leo is starting to become an old veteran at horse shows.  He maintains his composure regardless of screaming children, barking dogs, or flapping umbrellas. It’s a treat to have a horse so chill about so many distractions!  Despite his age, and having a firm understanding of what his job is, Leo continues to improve and constantly makes an effort to be better.  He also seems to have made the shift from being a reactive horse to being a responsive horses. Anyone who’s experienced both sides of the coin knows exactly how much of a blessing this is! I always admire his ability to keep pushing through difficult exercises, whether it’s for my sake or his.

In April, I attended the Mane Event Expo, where I met a number of new and old faces from the Standardbred community. Leo didn’t tag along this year, but his influence was felt through the helmet cam footage from his previous events, as well as his photos and ribbons that helped decorate the booth. Thank you to everyone who stopped by even just to say hello!

June saw Leo and I both at an incredible Stollery Children’s Hospital Fundraiser hosted by Bedrock Training Centre and Nitza’s Pizza just outside of Beaumont, Alberta. Leo hung out in a stall in one of the main alleyways of the barn and spent the day meeting guests and happily taking carrots, cookies, and pats from all the visitors both young and old.  The fundraiser raised over $21,000 and was a super fun day for everyone who attended. Thank you to Kelly, Amy and their team at Bedrock for always including me in these opportunities!

Shortly after the Stollery Fundraiser, Leo and I headed south to Cochrane, Alberta for the Crowfoot Dodge Cochrane Horse Trials.  This was Leo’s third time competing at the Pre-training level. We finished on our dressage score for 8th place in a field of 23 horse/rider pairs with very few stadium or cross country penalties to be found.  Leo was a start through slick footing, busy warm up rings, and random bursts downpour that haunted the entire weekend. He continues to bring his absolute best into the ring each time. The event at Cochrane saw Leo with his best adjustability and rideability to date. Thank you to my coach Noel Clark for his continued guidance and mentorship!


Early in July, to show their support for off the track Standardbreds in new careers, I was given a blanket by ASHA with "Team Standardbred" embroidered on it for me to use with Leo. I can't express how much the support of the harness industry means to me, both at home and at large, and will proudly take this cooler with me on any adventures the future holds for me and Leo. Thank you so much to the Alberta Standardbred Horse Association - ASHA for this gift, and especially to Colleen Haining for pulling it all together!

Frustrated with the lack of Standardbred related merchandise available in the market, fellow Go and PlayStable ambassador, Alexandria Tiffinger, and I design and launched some ‘Team Standardbred’ merchandise. To date we have two different caps to choose from, a polo – perfect for schooling or showing – and a long sleeve sport shirt. I’m happy we were able to come up with something simple and straight forward to show our love for Standardbreds!  

Most recently, Georgia Barry and I made the trip down to Montana to take in the Event at Rebecca Farm and cheer on our fellow Canadians! As always there was lots to learn, see and do. (I’ll be posting a separate blog about it!) My mom has always been such a huge supporter of whatever Leo and I have decided to do, and I was wonderful to get to share the experience with her without having to worry about competing. Thank you to Lindsay Stevenson for allowing me to help you throughout your first Training 3 Day, and to the rest of the Two Jack Farm team for having mom and I tag along, ask questions, and cheer you on!

The remainder of this year is set up to be a great one. With three events left for Leo, and few other opportunities for myself, and an incredible team of support behind me, I’m excited to see what we can accomplish before hitting the ground running into 2017!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment